Friday, June 3, 2011

Why is Religion So Important?

So today is Easter and every Easter morning, I wake up to an Easter basket. However, today my mother decided she wasn’t going to give me one because she thinks I don’t believe in Jesus. I hate it when my mother assumes before actually getting the real facts. One of my favorite quotes is “Religion is like sex, its fine if you wanna do it, but don’t try to shove it down my throat.” I think that’s the problem with parents. They trick and try to convince their children that religion is life and must be followed and obeyed at all times. Children are brainwashed into thinking that if they don’t believe in something, they’re going to hell, and that they have to believe in hat their parents believe in. Well I hate to break it to you silly adults, but kids are finally waking up! We’re tired of listening to your foolish ploys about why religion is so frickin important. We have a right to believe in what we want. It’s called freedom of religion. Last time I checked that was an amendment for Americans and last time I checked, we were American, so why don’t we have a say. My mom and I get in arguments about this all the time, but I’m tired of her saying “Not in my house you don’t” right after I say “We live in American, I HAVE freedom of religion.” I’m tired of being told what I can and can’t do just because I live under her roof. I don’t care whose roof I live under, I’m still American and I still have rights. Those amendments aren’t just for people over 18, they’re for any person who’s old enough to think for him or herself, and say what’s on their mind. If that means you’re only 9years old, so be it, you still have rights. For the longest time, I actually believed the things my mom and dad told me about religion. But the more I pay attention in philosophy while we’re talking about atheism versus religion. And the more I pay attention to the world around me, where most of my friends don’t actually believe in everything their religion tells them, the more I defy my mother’s beliefs. I’m not saying I don’t believe in a god, I just don’t believe certain aspects and fallacies of the religion my mother wants to call Catholicism and my father wants to call Christianity. Overall, I just wish parents would allow their children to be the free spirited, “speak-your-mind” kinds of kids that they encourage. Don’t tell us to live how we want if you’re going to set limits on us for most of our childhood. That’s the one stage where we actually retain what we learn and grow from that knowledge, so if there are conflicting statements and encouragements, we just grow up to be confused, and shy little children. Well not me, I’m tired of being put down and told what I can and cannot do. It’s time for me to take charge of my life and do what I want, with no limitations or setbacks! TTFN *I miss Tigger*



*greenswimgirl14*

No comments:

Post a Comment